|The Port Moody Station Museum is supported by
the City of Port Moody, BC Community Spirit Grant, the Royal
Canadian Legion Branch 119, HRDC Student Works, donations and
Port Moody Station Museum is owned and operated by the Port Moody
Heritage Society and is part of their effort to promote increased
awareness and knowledge of Port Moody's heritage and history. Exhibitions
at the museum include the historic Port Moody Station, community
displays and the Venosta,
a restored 1920s railcar.
The Port Moody Station, built in 1905/1907, was the second railway station built in the area. In 1945, the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) decided to move the station closer to town. Their employees lifted the station off its foundation, placed it directly onto greased railway tracks and used an engine to pull it to its second location at the foot of Queen St.
The station was officially closed on September 25th,
1976, when the CPR discontinued their passenger service.
The Port Moody Historical Society (now the Port Moody
Heritage Society), who were operating a museum on Kyle St., bought
the station. In 1978, it was moved to its present location on Murray
St. and refurbished to be a museum facility. The Station Museum
was officially opened on July 1st, 1983.
The Station, designed to be a live-in unit, has two floors and a basement. The main floor is currently accessible to the public. Some rooms have been restored to show the living and working conditions in the station between 1905 and 1920. Other rooms have been set up for community and temporary displays.
The kitchen, with a coal and wood stove, copper water
heater, and coal-oil lamps predates electricity and piped-in water.
The museum's telegraph office features an operational
telegraph system, which is available for guests to try, and a hand-operated
telephone from 1884 when the Port Moody and New Westminster Telephone
Co. was formed.